Why Beauty For Ashes?

  I suppose it is high time that I explain my title...  I became a Christian when I was very young, but let me say I didn't always act like one.  When I look at some of the childish and stupid things that I did I ask  "Why?  What would make me do such dumb things?"  I guess the answer is myself and my desires.  Yes, the devil tempted me, but he didn't sin for me.
 
  When I took classes at my church and got baptized, I still had a lot of growing to do.  God was pointing out things I needed to set straight. 

  Now He is still working in me.  I have such a far way to go.  I feel very small and incomplete. 

  Isaiah 61:2-4 New International Version (NIV)
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of His splendor.
 
  This is why God changed me, for the display of His splendor!  It's not me, it's not anything I did, It's Christ's work and life in me.
 
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
 
  If I tried to be a Christian, without Jesus, I couldn't.  Christ gives me strength and life and beauty.  He is beauty!
 

Comments

Popular Posts