Library Moments

  I don't feel like I was cut out for this job... 




1. I am not the most outgoing person in the world
2. Working with my peers is scary :/
3. I'm not very good at making sense when I'm under pressure

  It took me a while to get the swing of things.  One girl asked where the Magic Tree House books were.  I wanted to look like I knew what I was doing and I couldn't find them, soon she pointed a label out that clearly said what we wanted.  Obviously I had no clue where they were.  :)


   "Do you like working at the library?"


   "Yes... "




   "Why?"


   "Oh, I don't know..."
   "Is it so you can interact with other people?"  another girl pipes up.  (I forget exactly how I responded, but I wondered later how sheltered they must think I am)


   I turned the question around,  "Do you like coming to the library?"


   "Yeah, for the free wi fi!"


   "Oh I see how it is :)"


  Listening to the way the kids talk and hearing their stories makes me sad...  I grew up very sheltered  - but in a good way.  I don't know what it's like to have only one parent or many step-siblings.  I don't know what it's like to be yelled at by someone I'm supposed to be able to trust.  This job has opened my eyes completely to some of the things kids go through and put themselves through.
  The other day one of the kids told me that he was Amish and that we could be Amish together :)
I told him,
  "No, I'm not Amish."  He was surprised and said that I dress like the ones on TV!  I explained that we dress similarly but I'm not Amish.
  After he got that, he still insisted on being Amish,  and pointed at his black pants and sweatshirt. 
  "See, all black!"
   I don't know if it can ever get dull at the library while these kids are around!


  
 
 


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts