Every-day Moment

A Locked Door

Recently a friend asked me to go with her and her five children on a road trip to Wisconsin to help drive.  I was really excited because I had just been getting to know her and her family and I love road trips.  The trip was going great!  I helped drive a bit, Valita and I talked about a lot of different things, I got to know her daughters better, and holding the baby was also fun. 

We got to our destination safely, and they introduced me to a friend who has a passion for India and the people there.  I loved hearing her stories and trying her scrumptious and unique Indian food. 

 Too soon we needed to leave and drive the three hours home again.  We stopped for ice cream at Wendys and went happily on our way.  The van was getting low on gas and us girls needed the bathroom.  I parked in front of Kwik Trip and lay the keys on the dash.

"I'm putting the keys on the dash" I said, probably much too quietly.  When done with our duties in the bathroom, one of the girls asked me if I had the keys. 

"No", I said, "I put them on the dash." As soon as we were near the counter, Valita told us that she locked the van doors. 

"There's the code" the girls said.  We all had a glimmer of hope as they punched in some numbers, but it wasn't right.  The numbers flashed at us, indicating that we should stop breaking in.  We all trooped inside again and Valita asked the Kwik Trip manager for help.  He told us that he wasn't authorized to help but he gave Valita a number to call of someone that might be able to get it unlocked.  She called but there was no answer. 

Soon the manager came out with a bent hanger and screw driver. 

He said with a twinkle in his eye, "There is also a hammer, but that will be the last resort." 

The girls took turns helping their mom and warming up inside.  Still the lock wouldn't budge.  Valita thought about asking her husband to bring the spare key, but we were still a couple hours from home.  The store manager suggested a kit that had the necessary tools to getting the door unlocked.  Valita opted for that option and with help from a kind man who was there, they finally got the door unlocked! 

The Kwik Trip manager bought Valita coffee and hot chocolate for those of us who wanted some.  We all thanked him and during our conversation he mentioned prayer being a big part of these things.  As we drove away we all compared notes and Valita told us that he was a pastor of a Methodist Church in that area.  We all decided that even if he wouldn't have mentioned being a pastor, there was something different about him.  We went away encouraged because someone went out of his way to share his faith in a very practical way. 

A few miles down the road, we remembered the gas!  Now to find a gas station and not lock ourselves out this time. :)

Comments

  1. Wow that is awesome!
    We travel alot and we have had many car problems but I think it is very encouraging to see how God always brings help at just the right place and time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts