Every-day Moments

I have many good memories of the moments going to the Twin Cities.  The Twin Cities is a good one and a half hours drive from our house.  It is the perfect distance for a mini road trip.  When I was little, we would go up there to visit the science museum.  We would go as a family and enjoy a few hours of looking around at a featured exhibit and watching an I-max.

Other times, we went there to drop someone off at the train station.  We parked in the little parking lot in front of the building and all of us kids jumped out, helping the traveler with his or her luggage.  We were usually pretty early so the bags would get checked in, and we would sit down.  Soon, my little legs were itching to run around, so I jumped to the drinking fountain, or looked longingly at the snack machine.  When I was especially brave or an adult consented to go with me, I would climb the steps to a “lookout” in the center of the room.  I loved it up there where I could wave at my family and look down at all the people milling around, waiting like we were.

Sometimes we would go to Cracker Barrel to meet some friends for a meal.  I loved it.  For those who have not been privileged to eat there, it is a restaurant/gift shop.  The theme is an old country store.  When I was little, the nick knacks were so intriguing.  After our meal, Dad would treat us to candy sticks that they sold.  They had so many flavors... peppermint, root beer, orange cream... 
A trip to the cities usually meant: staying up late or getting up very early, eating out, stopping at interesting places, and many more things that would appeal to a small child.  It is the perfect distance to get a good discussion going or maybe an argument kindled.  You could get a good chunk read from your book, or take a nice long nap.  Many ABC games were played or “Guess Who”.

  More recently, we have been dropping people off/picking them up from the airport.  When I was little the airport seemed so big and exciting.  It still does, especially when I get to be one of the travelers.  All of these little moments stick out as a wonderful mixture of memories.  I don't think that these trips will ever get old.  Each new time brings a new adventure and adds to the jumble of old adventures.  Do any of you have moments like these that offer so many opportunities? 

Comments

Popular Posts