When I Was Thought to be a Burglar

  Two of my friends and I were eating at Culvers and enjoying our lovely food. After eating, we ran a few errands in town. As I was taking the girls home, we laughed and talked and reminisced. We were almost at their place when I remembered.

  "Could we stop by and see the house you guys just got?" I asked. The girl's family owned a house just down the road from their farm that they were fixing up.

  "Sure, we have the key" they replied.

   I swerved into the yard and noticed the beautiful white barn that graced the back yard. We oohed and ahhed over it for a few seconds, then jumped out of our car and went into the house. It was very empty and old-looking. The carpet had been torn out, revealing a beautiful wood floor. Bits and pieces of wallpaper still clung to the walls.We explored, wondering what stories each room held. After a while, we locked up and I drove the girls the rest of the way home.

  The next morning I was in for a surprise. My friends filled me in on their families side of the story.
They were eating supper when someone noticed lights entering the yard. Thinking it was odd, since no one had any reason to go their except they themselves. Father and son hopped into the pickup and hurried over there, driving at a reasonable speed, so that the "burglars" might not become suspicious. Text messages from home were saying that lights were being turned on inside the house, which only meant one thing. Whoever was there, broke into the house.

  The guys started wondering what to do. They couldn't just walk in on them. They started debating whether or not to call the police. Slowly they drove in front of the house and turned the engine off. Staring into the windows, they hoped to catch a glimpse of who might have broken in. People flitted from room to room, wearing strange clothing. Odd burglars for sure! Finally one of the men spotted a face.

  "It's... Krysta, and the girls!"

  The lights on the truck were turned back on, and they got out of there. While we happily roamed from room to room.

  Oblivious.

Comments

Popular Posts