how it all began

It all started when he opened the truck door for me, but no, that can't be the beginning... 

Was it when I watched him play with the one-year old boy so that big sister could teach a VBS class? 

Or when the church group went for a long bike ride and he gave a tired 1st grader a ride to the end of the trail? 

Maybe it was while I watched him make difficult life choices to better serve God.

Did it start when I realized how well he cared for others?

How it started is not exactly the point, but it did start. I liked him. I couldn't not like him. Try as I might to get over yet another crush, it was like God kept on bringing him back to my mind. With the good advice of a friend, I decided to watch him, see what he was made of. That's when I started seeing all sorts of cool things about him. 

He was a friend to everybody. 

When people talked, he listened. 

I could see him grow in his walk with God. 

Knowing my weakness to read into and assume many things, I tried very hard to tell myself that he did not like me. Yet in so many situations, I kept on hoping against hope that he actually did. So I asked God to help me. I asked God to please tell him to ask me out.

and then I waited. and I waited. and I waited.


 And for me (Allen): I'm not sure how it all started, she was noticeably kind and passionate and willing to lend a helping hand or word, and just simply nice- and, we didn't even mention beauty yet!
 I realized that somehow I was starting to like her! We didnt talk often, but we knew each other, or rather, of each other. One evening after our July 4th youth event she followed me out of town to go home.
  But there were so many unknowns, it felt rather scary to ask her... I found myself thinking about it more and more, inspite of the unknowns and some other obstacles in my life.
 One day there was an opportunity to go with a volunteer group to do a day of cleanup where flooding had happened, and I found out that she and her best friend were going as well as her friends boyfriend which was my good friend, so I called the overseer of the group and put my name in as well. He was glad for my commitment and also wondered if I could drive for the rest of the group, which I agreed to, then also contacting them with the driving arrangements, which for some reason was easy to agree to but made my heart pump a little faster.
 I called my friend with the arrangements and he confirmed that it all sounded good and also that him and his girlfriend could call Krysta and let her know of the plans... but I assured him it's fine and I'll take care of it. So I asked another of my friends for her number and just made a simple phone call, to tell her of the plans for the next day.
 The following day there was lots of people and our group was a minority, so it worked out great at both meals that were served- I sat beside her once then she beside me, then- it was time to go home and she was going to sit behind me in the truck, so, as we walked to the truck I just simply opened the rear door, looked at her then opened my door and got in.
 The rest of the way home the rearview mirror was the point of eye contact.
 In the next 2 weeks I did more thinking but it felt like there was some obstacles in the way yet. Sunday I was usher at church and when she walked in she was mostly what I thought of the rest of the service. After church I had a lunch invitation, and I enjoyed myself, but wanted to go home and be by myself, so I went.
 At home there was no peace and I absolutely HAD to do something about it! So I called her daddy, but he didn't answer, so I waited, it seemed like a long time, but he did call back about 15 minutes later. I asked him about his daughter and he said he thinks she would love to have a chat with me! He asked me what my plan is and I said I dont have one, but I could text her right away and see if she would enjoy  an evening walk.
 I sent her a text, and 13 minutes later she responded! And so it happened that 2 hours later we were on our first date!

  A lot has happened since then. We dated, got engaged and are planning a wedding! We are so excited about the future and the many things that God has planned for us!



If you have any AMAZING marriage advice, please let us know in a comment below!


Comments

Popular Posts