Waiting

 


The dark world glared in on her as she carried her most treasured posession, her baby, her Savior. They didn't understand. They assumed she had sinned- a very easy assumption to make.

"I'm not married, and yet what he said is true, there really is a baby inside of me."

Guilt would flood into her heart and then a quiet peace, 

"This is God's work, I am only His handmaid."

Day in and day out, she carried Him. Wondering how this wee babe could one day be King of the world. 

"How would a king be born? Who am I to be honored with this responsibility?"

The misunderstandings around her were hard to bear. The coming day of bringing this baby into the world brought a sense of fear into her young heart. Yet, she knew God walked beside her, dwelt within her.

And so she welcomed the day of His arrival. She excitedly planned and prepared. Each day brought her nearer.

"We need to go to Bethlehem," Joseph gently said to her.

The uncertainties grew. The day was so close, why now? 

Each jerk of the donkey reminded her of the baby trusted in her care, each person staring curiously at her huge belly. 

"Will this be the day?"

People bumping into each other. Crowded streets. Men, women, children, walking, talking, laughing. 

"No space for me to breath, there are people everywhere! Is this the moment? What is going to happen?" 

Thoughts churned through her head. She focused on breathing. Hoping there would be a resting place soon.

Joseph noticed her concern, he desperately worked his way through the crowds trying to find a place to stay, any place. 

Warm animals moved slowly around her, chomping at the straw. A young calf bawled and it's mother moved closer. 

The young woman didn't care, she was just trying to breath...

"O come O come, Emmanuel" these words rang through her soul. This was the day she had waited for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I echo the Jews' prayer. 

"O come O come Emmanuel!"

How long will we wait in this dark world? Each day, wondering, is this the day?

I don't know exactly how Mary felt, but I do know the joys and the fears of approaching the day of delivery. Waiting for my baby.

Mary probably wasn't imagining a stable birth.I doubt she pictured animals and shepherds welcoming this Baby King into the world.

Christmas looks so different for me this year. Knowing that because Jesus was born, I can have the strength to face my daughter's homegoing. 

He was born into such a sinful world, 

and it still is.

O come, O come, Emmanuel!




Comments

Popular Posts