The Day for Mothers


Each day drags closer to "The Day". I wonder if it will be a good one or a hard one. I have been having so many good days recently, I'm bound to run into a tough one again, right? What is this day? 

I sit back and remember. 

Noisy clattering in the kitchen with my sister and dad. We were trying to make it a surprise, but how can you be quiet so early in the morning? Mom's favorite cake or breakfast would be mixed up. We were so excited to see her reaction. 

Combing the church woods for bluebells with my friends. We then would run towards our mothers with the droopy, yet pretty bit of flowers.

Staying up late in my friend's bedroom, card making. We had to get them done before the next morning, because we wanted to give them something in return for all they did for us.

Gathering nick nacks at local garage sales because one of them said, "I love you, mom" on it.

Watching mom and many others walk to the front of the church to pick up the rose just for them.

And then one day, I was a mom. Nobody knew it but Allen and I. We stood in awe of our faithful Father and His wonderful gift just for us.

On that Mother's Day, I stood in a tiny church. In front of me a little girl was handing me something special. A picture she had colored, she even wrote her name in the corner. 

"Happy Mother's Day" she said.

It took my breath away. Me, a mom? 

Yes.

I hadn't yet held that sweet baby in my arms, but I knew that God had blessed me with motherhood. 

This year, I wonder. Would she be scooting across the floor yet? Is she one of those wonderful babies with a laugh at the corner of her lips? Would she chatter away to me and her daddy? 

I don't know.

I used to think that each day took me farther away from my baby, but now I know that I'm only getting closer. Eternity will be enough time to hold her close, and I can't wait.

This year, I also think of the second miracle our God has blessed us with. Will this baby stay? Will I get to hold a wiggling, screaming baby this winter? What will this baby be like? 

I don't know.

Each day drags closer to Mother's Day. I wonder if it will be a good day or a hard one. I have been having so many good days recently, I'm bound to run into a tough one again, right? 

Mother's Day. It's not only for the ideal, the whole, the happy. It's for us who just don't know. 

But God, 

He does. 

I want that to be enough for my heart.

A gentle Mother's Day blessing to each of the mothers reading this post. 

You are loved.



Comments

  1. Oh Krista, I pray it will be a special and happy day for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts