Pearl's Birthday

Once upon a time, a little girl named Pearl had her second birthday. This wasn't an ordinary birthday party, it was a party fit for a princess, because in all honesty, that's what Pearl is. All of heaven came for the party! Though there is no time in heaven, there is always a reason to celebrate. Because Pearl's family was remembering her birthday earth side, heaven was remembereing it as well. What a joyous occasion it was, filled with laughter and fun. Pearl knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt that she was loved like crazy. Not only by her mama, daddy, brother and sisters, but by Jesus, the LORD of heaven and earth.

Too bad we couldn't see them celebrating her life in heaven... but we had our own cozy party. My family had gathered to celebrate my oldest brother's 40th birthday. It was a beautiful weekend to do it too -blue skies, orange and red and green trees, skuffling clouds, cool breezes. 

In the busyness of life, I found it hard to process that Pearl would be two years old. So, Allen took the babies for me to spend an afternoon baking a cake. A dear friend watched the babies while I visited the grave. While my family celebrated Jeremy's birthday, we remembered Pearl's too. 


We sang Happy Birthday for her, though tears choked it out half way through. I sat there picturing her happily blowing the candles out. My little two year old.

We gave her flowers. So many kinds: roses, lillys, carnations and more. I hoped that maybe Jesus would offer her the same bouquet in heaven. 

As we gathered around her grave, Jasper excitedly waved as if he saw someone he knew. Maybe it was the angel who came to comfort us... 


Comments

Popular Posts