On Writing and Idols

~What you create is not worth worshiping~ 
  
This was spoken in context of idol worship in a message I recently heard. I thought about how much I love to create and then stand back and admire and enjoy what I have created. Do I sometimes even "worship" it? 
  
 Recently I decided to start writing again. I read up on some of the ways to promote my writing and to eventually make money from it. As I read random articles about getting paid from ads, building a reader following, and selling products, something didn't sit right with me. Why am I really wanting to write? Is it to promote me, myself and I? Sometimes I think it might be... 

"How yucky!" I thought. 
 
Do I hold myself up so much that I think everyone else needs to know me and my ideas too? 
  
I would like to clarify something right here, I do not look down on people who have a "following" and make money online. Not at all. Making money through writing and sharing with others is wonderful, and I'm happy for those who can do it. I would be interested to hear how you started, and what you have learned along the way. 
  
This just feels like a personal journery for me. Where do I start? What are my motives? Do I plan to work so hard on my "creation" that I don't even think about the One Who created me?
‭‭
1 John‬ ‭5:20‭-‬21‬ ‭HCSB‬‬
20 And we know that the Son of God has come  and has given us understanding so that we may know the true One.  We are in the true One — that is, in His Son Jesus Christ.  He is the true God and eternal life. 21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

I think this is the answer to my questions. It's not about having a "following" or not. It's about living in Christ and doing what He calls us to do, using the understanding He has given us. It doesn't matter if that is writing or mothering or jogging.
  
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

What are your thoughts? Can we let what we do become an idol in our hearts?

Comments

Popular Posts