The Blessings of Sickness

I feel hypocritical even writing that title. The truth is, I view sickness as a dark tunnel to get through, a bit of a time lapse in life that, the sooner you can emerge on the other side, the better. In the past 2 weeks, there have been 6 doctor appointments to attend, 3 littles humans sick, 2 adults, and many, many kleenexes gone through.

"It looks like RSV, with an ear infection and bronchiolitis." The doctor said, with concern in his voice. Poor baby, I thought, a deeper understanding settling in my heart for the tantrums and upsets in our house the last two days. Blessings amid 3 sick toddlers, a sick mama and a 7 week old infant who needs her too? The thought of blessings wasn't very close to my heart. Then, as I drove to and from one of the appointments, I heard some encouraging words in the audiobook I was listening to, Memory-Making Mom by Jessica Smartt. 

Jessica brought out many blessings from sick days as well as ideas to make sick days a bit more special. It was the boost I needed to set my mind on a more positive track than, "let's get through this as fast as possible". Here are just a few of the blessings:

-When people are at their weakest, they are open to being served, so it is a ministry opportunity.

-We realize our frailty and God's incredible strength when we are sick.

-It forces us to slow down and remember what really matters in life.

-When we do get to the other side of the tunnel, it increases our gratitude for health in a whole new way.

- Baby Gracia didn't get it, for which we are so grateful!

As my little people slowly improve, I hope to remember that this was not time wasted. It was a time God was working in our hearts to teach us to depend on Him fully, and He is working in our bodies to bring healing.  

What are ways you have found blessings in sickness or any kind of uncomfortable waiting seasons of life?

Comments

Popular Posts