Death... and a Life Well Lived


A week ago, I was told about the passing of three precious souls. Two of them, I didn't have the privilege of knowing. One was a stillborn baby and another was a baby who only lived two short months. It brought back many memories of when baby Pearl passed away. I wonder why their sweet little lives needed to be so short. 

Today I went to the funeral of the third and oldest of the three. Her name was Pearl too and she had a special place in my heart.

When I was in middleschool, a family friend contacted my dad and wondered if I would like a caregiving job. His mother was sick and needed someone to come in and get her meals and meds for her, and just help her in general. Mom and I went in to help her a few days a week. 

I loved my time getting to know her. She was a sweet lady with permed white hair and eyes that crinkled when she smiled. She had many stories to tell of her days on the farm raising her boys. Her home was filled with beautiful artwork that she painted. The most obvious thing about her though, was her love for Christ. 

After she recovered, we enjoyed Christmas caroling for her, seeing her now and then at community events, and stopping in to visit. At the service today, it was beautiful to see her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren tell story after story of her loving and spirited life. 

Someday, I too want to rest in Christ and know that I had loved well, fought the good fight, and added beauty to the world God had me live in for a short time.

Comments

Popular Posts